Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hollyoaks: Paul Marquess, how's he doing?

I've been watching Hollyoaks, since it's very first epsiode. I remember the original Super Villain (Rob Hawthrone), and the original Cindy Cunningham! I remember when Tony Hutchinson was a wannabe Ian Beale, scheming to make money out of defenseless (yeah, right!!) students, and when Mr Cunningham gave Mandy driving lessons (they were scary days)!! I remember when both Holly and Tom were born, and when so many of poor Tom's nearest-and-dearest "past on" (seriously writers, give the poor kid a break!)

But, anyway, the point I'm really making here, is that I've been watching it a long time, and I think it's time that I wrote a little about the latest Boss Man Paul Marquess, who has been at the Hollyoaks Helm for quite some time now.

In a sort space of time, Marquess has got rid of a very large amount of characters, some of course of their own will, but many were more "pushed", but anywho, here are just a few characters that we've lost since Marquess took over:
  • Zack
  • Michaela
  • Kris
  • Malachi
  • Steph
  • Hannah
  • Josh
  • Amy (although she has since come back. Did anyone else know she was coming back? Because I honestly thought she'd gone for good!!
It was a shame that some really top-class characters received such shoddy leavings, with the only one that was deserved being Michaela (but only if the rumoured "Zack" bust-ups with Marquess are correct!)m I just think their exits could have been handled better.

He then brought together some incredibly random romantic pairings, I mean, first of Rhys and Jacqui?? Where on earth did that one come from? But, they're only a little weirder than Nancy and Darren...although, I do have to say, that it's nice to see Darren being a little more mature. I just hope that Cindy coming back, isn't going to "upset the boat" (as if the "twins" storyline hasn't upset it enough!) I get the impression that the pairings, are really only down to the fact, that the writers couldn't justify keeping the characters of Rhys and Nancy around, unless they quickly came up with a love interest for the pair of them!

The next odd thing, was bringing back some odd choiced characters: Lee Hunter, was the best character to come back, although, how about we get Bombhead back for good? And maybe Lisa? But, I really want to know what happened with Zara?? And, okay, so Amy (as bad an actress as she often is) was a nice surprise, because I think her and Lee would be nice together. But, then came the weirdness of Warren and Many's returns...silly storylines, is all I'm going to say! And now Suzanne is back...please tell me that isn't going to be a permanent thing?!?!

And, then began the onslaught of new characters.I don't have a problem with any of the new characters, because as annoying as 99% of them are, I remember hating Theresa McQueen when she arrived, and she's one of the very few reasons that I'm still watching, since the "Big Change"! No, my problem is really down to the fact that too many new characters were brought in, in such a short period of time, and it feels like a very different show because of it. I also feel that some families are just getting too many big storylines, whilst others have been brought in, given a couple of smaller storylines and then half forgotten about!

So, personally, I think Hollyoaks is changing too much, far too quickly, but I'm really trying hard to sticking with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment