Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Pages: 366
Cover: Paperback
ISBN978-0-141-33478-3


PlotCassia lives in a world of analysis. Where everything you do is predicted for you, including your profession, who you will marry and even when you will die. When Cassia is “matched” with her best friend, she couldn’t be happier, who wouldn’t be happy to be matched with someone that you already know? But, then her entire world begins to unravel. What if she was meant to be with someone else?
Two reasons to read "Matched"

The Ideas: Stories of dystopia have been popular for a long time, ranging from 1984 to Blade Runner, and one of the predominant reasons behind their popularity is down to the raw ideas of the future that these novels and films are able to conjure up. And “Matched” is no different. The ideas are intriguing, because on the surface they sound so perfect: how nice is to know that you are destined to be with one person, without the fear of having to find them? But, then underneath that nice thought is the realisation of everything that comes with it, including the lack of free choice, and for most of us, that isn’t a nice thought.

One for the Girls: The problem with a vast majority of dystopian novels is that they tend to be very science fiction based, which is widely aimed at a more male audience. Similar to “The Time Travelers Wife”, however, being the girls version of a time-travel novel, “Matched” is the uncomplicated girls equivalent of the dystopian novel. This makes it a much easier subject to approach, because typically we’re not necessarily interested in the nitty gritty of how this all came about, we just want a good story damn it!

Two reasons not to read "Matched"

Plot: I read this book purely on the fact that the ideas were similar to the love triangle in Hunger Games, and so soon after finishing the Hunger Games books, I was keen to see how another author would tackle the idea, especially set in a vaguely similar dystopian world. Unfortunately, I wish I hadn't bothered, because plot-wise "Matched" didn't stand a chance. The funny thing is that I'm not just saying that because I love The Hunger Games book so much, because I think that even if I'd read this first, I'd still have disliked it. 

The plot is boring, to say the least. Despite events occurring, nothing ever really happens and it just plods along like Eeyore trying to battle against blustery winds. Ultimately, I just felt like it was a load of really good ideas, loosely linked together into minor plot-points that weren't focused on deeply enough for my liking.

Characters: For me, characters are practically as important as the plot. Without characters that are likable or at least a little bit relatable, then I'm just not interested. Development wise, Cassia makes Bella Swan a great deal more likable, and even (yes, I'm going to say this), Cassia makes Bella look like less of a drip!! 

And the problem with the other major character (Ky if you wanted to know!!) is that I never felt like I knew anything about him. I didn't know who the hell he was, or why Cassia became so obsessed with him. Okay, I know the reason that the story gave (which I won't reveal for anyone who wants to read the book!), but you don't just fall in love with a person for no reason. You have to find something appealing about them surely, but I just never got a sense of that out of Cassia. And as a result, I really couldn't sympathise with Ky's "situation".

Overall: I think that "Matched" is a great book for younger teenage girls, looking for something different. But, as a whole, I felt like Condie had missed out on a great opportunity for a brilliant piece of fiction. It's full of ideas, but no substance, which is unfortunately, far too common in novels aimed at this age-group. If J.K. Rowling, Suzanne Collins, Phillip Pullman et al can manage to write incredible fantasy-based literature for the young adult audience, then I see no reason why others can't!

Regarding the books sequel "Crossed", I'm vaguely intrigued to see where Condie will take the story, but having read reviews, I think that I'll follow my initial gut instinct and not bother to torture myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment