Sunday, February 12, 2012

Star Wars Episode 1:Second Time Around



Part 2

It's time to finish that Star Wars blog I started a couple of weeks ago (better late then never) now that the 3D edition of the film is doing the rounds at cinemas across the country. I initially wanted to write this blog from a neutral standpoint but I will confess that I have a soft spot for the Phantom Menace probably because that it got so much stick the first time around. So I'll continue this blog with a few more reasons to see this film but I'll also give mention to the bad points. After all, most films have them.

3) As an opening to the Star Wars saga it pretty much ticked all the right boxes. Okay, that might sound a bit crazy given all of the criticism it received but the lighter approach suited the film well. The action was seen through the eyes of a child, that's how I like to look at it anyway, so it was never going to be like the originals. The Star Wars universe as we knew it didn't exist, there were no familiar modes of transport and no familiar characters. The Phantom Menace was all about Anakin Skywalker as were the other two prequels so it made perfect sense for George Lucas to make Jar Jar Binks such a prominent character in the first film and why the character faded into the background for the following two films. I'm starting to sound like a film studies lecturer so I think I'll move on.

4) Before I wrap up this blog I'm going to mention a few bad points of this film, just the odd niggle that's worth a mention. Ok then, here goes;

The Pod Race sequence

This scene is a bit overlong in my opinion. It looks good but it could have had a few minutes taken off and it would have had the same impact.

Over use of CGI

I like a bit of CGI but some films just seem to cram as much as possible in every scene just to impress. Because of the large of CGI in The Phantom menace it came across a bit artificial at times. Thankfully the effects served to further the story for the most part which is more than can be said for most summer blockbusters.

And that's yer lot. I kind of like Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. It's not the greatest piece of film ever to grace the cinema screen but it didn't quite deserve the pasting it got from fans and critics. Perhaps one day it will be more appreciated by film goers. After all Blade Runner was a total flop when it was first released but over time it became a cult classic. Not that I think The Phantom Menace deserves classic status, it just deserves a bit more respect as a film. Thanks for reading and feel free to give us your opinions on this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment